Professor Oster had pointed out something very important to my attention. While I earlier stated that immigrants will eventually assimilate into American culture, that isn’t always the case. There are orthodox Jewish communities throughout the
“And, with a few exceptions, they are still often living in relative ease with their surrounding communities.”
This comment was taken from a comment on this post. I would completely agree that modern Orthodox Jews are able to live with the surrounding communities. Today’s modern day Orthodox Jews are accepted with ease in society because society has change a lot in the last 50 years. We live in a society that is more accepting of people different and diversity isn’t only welcome, but encouraged. As discussed in Eli, the Fanatic, Woodenton was considered a “modern community,” but was not even close to as accepting as we are today of people of different religion, race, or beliefs. While I might have generalized about immigrants always assimilating, society today is more accepting of their way of life and beliefs.
No comments:
Post a Comment